Sunday, December 12, 2010

Project #5 - My Self-Portrait

 Frida Kahlo
(Mexican, 1910-1954)
Self-Portrait with Monkey, 1938
Oil on masonite, 16 x 12"
 MAX BECKMANN
(German, 1884-1950)
Hotel Lobby,1950
Oil on canvas, 56 x 35"
 Paul Gauguin
(French, 1848-1903)
The Yellow Christ, 1889
Oil on canvas, 36 1/4 x 28 7/8" (92.1 x 73.4 cm.)
 Me
Final Project
1. Why did you select the inspiration pieces?
               I selected these inspiration pieces because I was originally going to draw myself with other factors surrounding me which is what all three of these pieces have in common.
2. Why did you select the media to create your self-portrait?
              I enjoy using media that is unusual. I created it in pencil but then used glitter glue and colored pens to make it my own.
3. What challenges did you face in creating your self-portrait and how did you overcome them?
             I am not a good artist at all. I attempted to draw my face but I was not doing very well at it. So, then I looked into creating an abstract self-portrait. I began having difficulty ith that as well but I just began to write down words that described me and that is how my self-portrait happened.
4. How does this piece represent you?
           The first thing that sticks out to the viewer is "Emily" which is my name. I also added my middle name "Rose" underneath it as well. Inside the "E" I wrote down words to describe who I am and what I represent. The design in the upper right corner is a "star of life" It is the symbol for EMTs. Inside of that is written BVFA EMS, which is Bowmansville Volunteer Fire Association Emergency Medical Service, which is my fire company. The word "Rainmakers" is our mascot. We are called the Bowmansville Rainmakers. All of the decorations were used to brighten up the project.
5. What elements and principles of art did you apply in this work?
           I used color, emphasis, balance, texture and unity.
6. Did you enjoy working on this project?
          Yes, I did enjoy working on this project. It gave me a chance to express myself and be proud of who I am.
7. What do you think of your final artwork?
            I believe my final artwork is unique, creative and expresses who I am and who I am proud to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment